Chemo Complete!

May 5 – I’m done!  What a feeling.  I have to admit that the day (as with most chemo days) gave me mixed emotions.  I was ecstatic to be done, but dreading the crappy feeling that would soon take over my body. 

The actual treatment itself was again uneventful.  I started taking my steroids the day before.  This time, I was actually able to get a decent night’s sleep the night before.  And I soon found out why.  I had goofed on taking the pills.  I was supposed to be taking 2 pills 2x/day.  Instead, on Thursday night I realized I had only been taking 1 pill 2x/day.  Oops.  At least my mistake gave me one good night of sleep.  I had Bri take a picture of me before we left – I was happy and had 2 thumbs up!  I again made desperate attempts to hydrate myself the day before and morning of my treatment so I’d have good veins.  When I went back for my blood work, she had trouble getting my vein and commented that I must be dehydrated.  Really?  So chugging about 100 ounces of liquid in about a 3 1/2 hour time span didn’t really do that much?

After the blood work, I was back to meet with Dr. Biggs.  Again, nothing new to report.  My blood pressure and blood counts were good.  My weight is still up a little, but I’m trying not to worry about that (for now).  Dr. Biggs congratulated me on being done.  I still can’t read Dr. Biggs, so I didn’t know if he’d accept a hug or not.  Instead, we shook hands.  With Dr. Penman, the hugs just came naturally, but I don’t hug unless I know the other person would feel completely comfortable. 

And then it was back to the chemo room.  I scanned the room and jumped into a window seat.  This time, I got a hot pack to help give me good veins.  And before I knew treatment started.  Despite having a bag packed full goodies to keep me entertained, I just kind of sat there and zoned in and out.  That Benadryl really does a number on me.  Ugh.  Bri was with me again and he busied himself by starting to work on plans for our Fair Hill tailgate.  By 12:30 PM, I was done! 

I'm All Done!

We both spent the afternoon napping on the couch.  By Friday, the steroids had me all jacked up again.  I cannot sit still when I’m on those drugs, I hate them.  I spent a good portion of my day zipping around the house cleaning.  I mostly focused on our upstairs, thoroughly cleaning bathrooms, stripping all the linens, vacuuming, etc.  Man, I was a cleaning machine.  I also managed to go to the grocery store and make dinner.  I knew I shouldn’t overdo it because I would slowly wear myself down, but I was in go mode. 

When I was first diagnosed and we were navigating all of my appointments and treatments scenarios, Bri made a flow chart.  I am so happy that we are getting closer and closer to the end of the flow chart.  Cheers to another phase over and done with!

This entry was posted in Chemo. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Chemo Complete!

  1. Aunt Patti says:

    So glad this part is done–hopefully the next phase will be easier on you, and will be over before you know it!

  2. amy says:

    Congrats to you! I am so jealous 🙂

    • Alexis says:

      Thanks Amy! You’ll be done in no time too – start a countdown or mark each milestone with a little celebration. It will help the time go by faster!

Let Me Know You Stopped By...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s